Upcoming Job Fair: JobQuest 2011
If you missed yesterday’s WorkForce 2011 job fair in Honolulu, have no fear. There’s another big job fair coming in September — JobQuest 2011:
- Date: Tuesday, September 20, 2011
- Time: 10am-3pm (on-site ticket box office opens at 9:30am)
- Place: Exhibition Hall at Neal Blaisdell Center, Honolulu
- Cost: $3 for general admission; $1 for students, seniors 55+, and military personnel with a valid ID. On-site ticket box office opens at 9:30am on the day of the event.
- Details: More than 150 employers (finance, health care, retail, nonprofit, government, and more) will be there. Bring copies of your resume and dress professionally. In Hawaii, typical business attire for men is a dressy aloha shirt (often called a “Hawaiian shirt” on the mainland) or other collared short-sleeve shirt, pants that aren’t jeans, and shoes that aren’t sandals or sneakers. Women typically wear dresses or a skirt/slacks-and-blouse combo, with a cardigan cover-up if necessary to avoid showing too much skin. Dressy sandals or other not-too-casual shoes are fine.
I know September is months away, but if you’re not yet living in Hawaii, you might want to start planning a trip to Hawaii in September so you can attend. Finding a job in Hawaii can be difficult when you’re not living here yet — Hawaii employers tend to be wary of out-of-state job applicants. By attending a job fair like JobQuest, you can meet with prospective employers face-to-face and show them you are serious about moving to Hawaii.
And while you’re here attending JobQuest, why not try living in Hawaii for a week? September (after Labor Day) is usually a good time of year to visit the islands. Airfares generally go down in price after kids go back to school, and it’s well before the rainy season begins. Just a thought!