Federal Government Jobs In Hawaii
Like the state government, the U.S. government is a huge employer in Hawaii. According to the State Department of Labor & Industrial Relations, there were more than 33,000 federal government jobs based in Hawaii in 2009. More than half of those jobs were in the Department of Defense, thanks to Hawaii’s strong military presence.
The other half of those federal jobs, unrelated to the military, include postal workers, airport security agents, airport customs agents, air traffic control workers, correctional officers, volcanologists, meteorologists, oceanographers, park rangers, FBI agents, cemetery caretakers, budget analysts, civil engineers, attorneys, and information technology specialists, just to name a few.
The U.S. government has a handy-dandy job listings site, USAJOBS.gov, that posts nearly all of their civilian job openings and allows you to apply for these jobs online. When I did a search for jobs in Hawaii, I found 486 openings. Federal employees don’t get quite as many paid vacation and sick days as Hawaii’s state and local government employees, but their benefits package is far from shabby.
Federal Agencies With Employees Based In Hawaii
If there are particular departments or agencies you’re interested in, it’s also worth taking a look at their official sites to see if they have any additional info on employment. Here are some federal government departments and agencies that have employees based in Hawaii (not a comprehensive list):
- U.S. Postal Service
- Federal Judiciary
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Department of Agriculture: Food Safety and Inspection Service, Forest Service
- Department of Commerce: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Department of Defense: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Defense Intelligence Agency, Defense Commissary Agency, Defense Contract Audit Agency, Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Defense Logistics Agency, Defense Finance And Accounting Service
- Department of Homeland Security: Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Customs and Border Protection, Immigration and Customs Enforcement Bureau, Coast Guard
- Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Department of the Interior: National Park Service, U.S. Geological Survey
- Department of Justice: Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Bureau of Prisons
- Department of State
- Department of Transportation: Federal Aviation Administration
- Department of Veterans Affairs: National Cemetery Administration, Veterans Benefits Administration, Veterans Health Administration